Managing ACC funded housing modifications for people with a serious or disabling injury
ACC may pay for changes to a person’s home to help them live as safely and as independently as possible after a serious or disabling injury. If ACC decides that a person needs changes to their home, Enable New Zealand manages the process. We hold the ACC National Housing Modifications Service Contract for the following regions:
- Waikato Region
- Bay of Plenty Region
- Gisborne Region
- Hawkes Bay Region
- Taranaki Region
- Manawatu-Wanganui Region
- Wellington Region
- Tasman, Nelson & Marlborough Region
- West Coast Region
- Canterbury Region
- Otago Region
- Southland Region
An occupational therapist (ACC assessor) carries out an assessment of the person’s environment and injury-related needs. Depending on those needs we might put in handrails and access ramps, widen doorways, install low-rise lifts or change kitchens, bathrooms or laundries.
We have three short videos explaining how we organise housing modifications for ACC clients.
Your expert advisors throughout the housing modifications process
Enable New Zealand has over 40 years’ experience in the health, disability and rehabilitation sector. We make sure the changes to the home will meet the person’s needs and also the needs of family or other people living in the house.
Our ACC housing modifications team operates from Palmerston North, Hamilton and Christchurch and covers the whole of New Zealand. In the team are professional occupational therapy advisors, housing advisors and customer service facilitators.
We contract architects, builders, equipment installers and other trades people to carry out ACC housing modifications. Our tender process ensures that all contractors have the qualifications and experience to complete the modifications to a professional standard. We guarantee their professionalism and safe practice in people’s homes.
How ACC can help with housing modifications
Home modifications | ACC (www.acc.co.nz)
Housing | Serious injury & disability (www.disability.acc.co.nz)
Feedback from satisfied customers:
- “The carpet tiles have been laid in my bedroom and they look great. It's a big relief not having to fight with mats, or worry about wearing through the carpet. Thank you to ACC for approving this”.
- “A big thumbs up to Dean, the builder (SRL), who organised and arranged all the modifications. Not only is he super easy to deal with but his contractors did a great job all round. Also, when Dean came and checked the work done, he fixed my bedroom door that goes out to the street. It had become near impossible to open and in 3 minutes flat he showed me how to fix it in case it happens again. That small amount of time has made a real difference”.
- “100% happy - Very helpful staff, always on time, worked around me and my chair - Workmanship is of excellent standard - I now have a bath every night and just love it – keep on doing what you do”.
- “Great job and suits my needs very well”.
- “The contractor was fantastic. My husband and I are both very pleased with the outcome. It is tremendous”.
- “Absolutely Excellent. Very happy”.
- “Builder (SLR) did a great job”.
- “Just wonderful”.
- “Very good job, very happy”.
- “Big tick for the contractor”.
- “110% satisfied”.
- “Absolutely Fabulous contractor”.
- “Really good work, I did not realise how much I was missing until the work had been done”.
- “Brilliant workmanship and very prompt. The ramp is so helpful”.
- “Totally changed my life, I was unable to shower for 6 weeks so having the rails installed has been amazing. I am really, really happy”