There may be a delay in us responding to your call or email on Monday as it is Wellington Anniversary Day holiday. Thank you for your patience.

Ministry of Health housing modifications

Ministry of Health-funded housing modifications for disabled people

The Ministry of Health funds Enable New Zealand to provide housing modification services. Our services are for eligible disabled people living in these areas:

  • North Island: all areas south of the Bombay Hills
  • South Island, Stewart Island, Chatham Islands.

We act as an independent moderator and expert advisor to the Ministry of Health. And we coordinate building industry experts to provide structural solutions to meet a person’s disability-related needs.

Find out more about our housing modifications service in this short video.

Housing advisory services

Our technical housing advisors ensure that building plans meet all requirements. For example, the New Zealand Building Code, local authority requirements, relevant legislation and budgets. They also liaise with our design and build services.

Professional advisory services

Our professional advisors ensure the housing modifications meet the person’s disability-related needs.

Learn more about our professional advisory services

Learn about our housing outreach services for EMS assessors

Design and build service

We manage a design and build service for Ministry of Health-funded housing modifications. We use a variety of consultants and builders and engage them directly. Visit our Disability Funding Information website for details.

Enable New Zealand housing contractors & consultants (MOH Housing) (external website)

Referrals to our MOH housing modification service

Before funding can be approved, the person must have an assessment with an occupational therapist (OT). The OT must be an approved or credentialed Equipment and Modification Services (EMS) assessor.

How to register on the Ministry of Health Accreditation Framework (external website)

Learn more about our Ministry of Health housing modification service (external website)

Ministry of Health funding for housing modifications

Visit the Ministry of Health website for more information.

Read about Ministry of Health-funded housing modifications for disabled people (external website)

Enquiries about our Ministry of Health housing modification service

Please contact the Service Manager, Housing, at our Head Office, Palmerston North.

Contact Enable New Zealand

Information for our clients

Download our Housing Modification Guide, which explains each step of the housing modification process. (PDF, 2.6 MB)