Hearing aid funding and subsidy
Ministry of Health-funded hearing aid services
The Ministry of Health funds hearing aids and devices for eligible children and adults. Enable New Zealand administers the funding for the Hearing Aid Subsidy and the Hearing Aid Scheme.
We do the following:
- Process applications from approved assessors for hearing aid services.
- Check the person is eligible and meets Ministry of Health access criteria.
- Provide advice, education and support to approved assessors for hearing aid services.
- Manage the annual budget allocated for hearing aid services.
- Monitor the demand for hearing aid services.
In 2020, 25,000 children and adults received hearing aid services.
Approved assessors may apply for hearing aid services
Before we can consider funding for hearing aids, the person must have a hearing needs assessment with an audiologist or audiometrist.
The audiologist or audiometrist must be:
- an approved assessor for Ministry of Health-funded hearing services
- registered on the Ministry of Health Accreditation Framework.
Visit our Disability Funding Information website for more information.
Ministry of Health criteria for hearing aid services
Visit the Ministry of Health website for more information.
Finding an audiologist
Visit the New Zealand Audiological Society website to find registered members of the Society.
Enquiries about our hearing aid services
Please contact the Service Manager, Professional Services at our Head Office, Palmerston North.