Enable New Zealand Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC)
Getting Ministry of Health-funded disability support services for children and adults under 65 years in Palmerston North, Horowhenua, Manawatu, Otaki, and Tararua districts
Enable New Zealand NASC organises Ministry of Health-funded disability support services for people under 65 years living in the MidCentral District Health Board region.
Support services include home help, personal care, community homes, equipment and housing/vehicle modifications, supported living, individualised funding and carer support.
If you (or someone you care for) need support because of a disability, talk to us. We work with disabled people and their family, whānau, aiga, or carers, to:
- determine if they are eligible for Ministry-funded disability support services
- identify their strengths and support needs
- outline what disability support services are available
- organise support services to meet their identified needs.
Applying to Enable New Zealand NASC for a needs assessment for disability support services: What you need to know
- The Ministry of Health has guidelines (eligibility criteria) about who can be assessed for and receive funded disability support services. See below.
- Anyone can make a referral to Enable New Zealand NASC.
- You can refer yourself. Or a family member, friend, doctor, social worker or other health professional can make the referral for you, with your consent.
- You (or someone on your behalf) will need to complete our Enable New Zealand NASC Referral Form. See below.
- You don’t have to pay anything for needs assessment or service coordination.
- Even if you meet the Ministry guidelines, you may not get disability support services at this time. We can explain this further when you contact us or at the time of your assessment.
Enable New Zealand NASC referral form and information sheet
Download our referral form and information sheet here. There are instructions on the referral form about how to complete and return the referral.
Enable New Zealand Needs Assessment Referral Form (143KB, Word, 2 pages)
Information to Assist Completion of Referral to Enable NASC - PDF version (173KB, PDF, 4 pages)
Information to Assist Completion of Referral to Enable NASC - Word version (30KB, Word, 4 pages)
Ministry of Health guidelines for disability support services
Go online to find out:
- who is eligible for Ministry of Health funded disability support services
- the types of support available
- what happens in needs assessment and service coordination.
Disability services | Ministry of Health NZ (www.health.govt.nz)
Specialists in disability support services
Enable New Zealand NASC has been providing needs assessment and coordination services since 1997, initially as the New Zealand Disability Resource Centre.
Our highly experienced team is made up of qualified social workers, occupational therapists and specialist disability support workers. Some of us have worked in the health and disability field for over 30 years. Several team members have completed the National Diploma in Disability Support Assessment, Planning and Coordination.
We are based at Enable New Zealand Palmerston North office.